- Delta Family Center
- 822 Grand Avenue
- (970) 874-9517
What is the Backpack Program?
The Backpack Program is a FREE, home-based preschool educational program for any family with 3 to 5-year-old children that live in Delta County. The program has supported parents and caregivers as a child's first and most important teacher since 1992. The Backpack Program strives to: to provide children with a common set of enriching experiences for a lifetime of learning, to support and assist parents in enriching their child's life with meaningful experiences, and to help strengthen the relationships between the public school, the families and community agencies.
Caregivers receive a rubbermaid box full of themed activities to do with your children at home and are reminded to exchange each box monthly. Each of our 58 differet themed boxs are filled with books, puzzes, blocks, a variety of educational materials based on literacy skills, and included suggestion for parents on how to use the materials as an at-home preschool classroom. Activities included in the backpack boxes are related to language development, reading, writing, math, general knowledge, fine motor, gross motor, memory skills and creativity. Parents/Caregivers are required to attend a one-time "Box-Talk" prior to starting the program.
The Backpack Program partners with all outlying Delta County Elementary Schools to provide exchange locations in:
- Delta - Main Office
Please download our DFC Demographic Form and return it to The Backpack Program staff via mail, email, or fax.
Current Enrollment: Accepting ALL Delta County Children Ages 3-5 Years Old
Backpack Box Content:
58 different themes (Approximately 650 Boxes)
- Bilingual boxes
- Boxes for developmentally delayed children
- Boxes with less items (based on family need)
- Fine Motor Bags
- Take home ABC packets
- Gifted and Talented Boxes (for children requiring additional material)
- Language: Listening to recordings, singing songs, and learning finger plays.
- Reading: Listening to and reading stories.
- Writing: Experimenting with drawing and copying using pencils, paint brushes, markers, and/or crayons.
- Math: Exploring materials using Legos, blocks and building materials.
- General Knowledge: Working with real projects during cooking, simple science projects, woodworking and role playing.
- Small Muscles: Working with pegboards, puzzles, finger paints, clay, etc.
- Large Muscles: Working with balls, bean bags, hopscotch mats, etc.
- Self-Help Skills: Practice brushing teeth, washing hands and face, and combing hair.
- Bright Futures for Children
- Buell Foundation
- CDE - Colorado Preschool Program
- Colorado Parenting Matters
- Colorado Shines
- Delta County Dept. of Health and Human Services
- Delta County School District
- EL Pomar
- Reading Rockets
- Story Line Online
- Student Accident Web Brochure
- Colorado Office of Early Childhood Videos